Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Two New Road Frames

It's been too long since I updated the blog, my appologies.  I've had over 10,000 page views from 34 countries so far.  Apparently the interest in carbon frame building is larger than I thought when I started posting to keep a friend updated on his frame build.

I received a box full of ENVE Composites ( http://www.enve.com/ ) tubing and frame components today so it seemed like a good time to start posting again.  I have two new road frames to build over the coming weeks.  Check back and see the build process changes I have planned.

To start off we have the tubes and rear end parts for the first build.
Here is a close up of the in-molded chain stay cable stop that ENVE offers.
Included in the tube order was some custom spec 44mm ID head tube and 41mm ID tubing for use with BB86 press fit bottom brackets.  There are a number of 90deg layers used to tolerate the press fit forces.
Here is something new for me, a 0.25" titanium tube that I'll be bending and using to route the rear brake cable through the top tube.  
Here is a close up detail for the ENVE seat stay brake mount.  The first frame will use this while the next one will use individual stay tubes and a custom brake bridge.
 I design each frame using 3D CAD software.  From here I can generate dimensions for cutting each tube and how to set up the frame jig.

That's it for now.  Dropouts are on the way and I'll be ordering some 300g/m^2 uni-directional and some 10.7oz/y^2 8HS carbon prepreg shortly for the joint construction.

4 comments:

Tymen said...

Nice, look forward to seeing the progress! What dropouts are you using for the enve stays?

DC said...

Hi Glen!
Tymen beat me to it as to where you're getting your droputs.

DC said...

Lokking forward to see how you do the internal wiring!

Tagglia said...

I'm a true believer that when love is applied to bicycles things like this happen.